2018 Development that Best Preserves Metropolitan Community Impact
Grandview Marquette Apartments
Developer: Home Renewal Systems, LLC
Location: Marquette, Mich.
The former Holy Family Orphanage, a landmark in downtown Marquette, Mich., was remade into a 56-apartment affordable housing complex, Grandview Marquette Apartments, with walkable access to jobs, stores and services.
The orphanage was home to a mix of abandoned and orphaned children until it closed in 1967–ultimately becoming a rite of passage for local teens, who would break in and spend the night in a “haunted” structure. By 2014, it was a source of urban blight, but Home Renewal Systems LLC oversaw the renovations and the property reopened in late 2017 with supportive services to help the residents.
The property also was a recipient of a 2018 Michigan Governor’s Award for Historic Preservation.
- Upcoming Conferences
- Previous Conferences
- 2021 Developments of Distinction Awards Winners
- 2021 Historic Rehabilitation Awards Winners
- 2021 Community Development QLICIs of the Year Awards Winners
- Past Award Winners
- Community Development QLICIs of the Year Awards
- Developments of Distinction Awards
- Historic Rehabilitation Awards
- Individual Achievement Awards
- Renewable Energy Power Awards
- Exhibit and Sponsorship
- FAQs and Feedback
- Industry Events
- Contact Us