2018 Development that Best Preserves Rural Community Impact
Developer: Woda Cooper Companies Inc
Owner: Woda Cooper Companies Inc
Location: Kendallville, Ind.
Rural Kendallville, Ind., with 9,800 residents, is home to Atz Place, an affordable apartment complex that serves households with residents 55 and older who earn $9,000 to $27,000 per year.
Developed by Woda Cooper Companies, Atz Place features 38 apartments in a two-story building with LEED Platinum certification. The amenities include a large lobby, multipurpose community room, grandchild room, fitness room, laundry, raised-bed gardens and a gazebo.
The $5.9 million development is on the former site of the vacant Atz Ice Cream plant, the premium ice cream factory that closed in 2011 after 90 years. Woda Cooper Companies purchased the site in 2014 and developed the complex in a county with less than 50,000 people and few senior services. In addition to Atz Place, Woda Cooper funded two new pedestrian crossing signals near the property to improve neighborhood safety.
- Upcoming Conferences
- Previous Conferences
- 2021 Developments of Distinction Awards Winners
- 2021 Historic Rehabilitation Awards Winners
- 2021 Community Development QLICIs of the Year Awards Winners
- Past Award Winners
- Community Development QLICIs of the Year Awards
- Developments of Distinction Awards
- Historic Rehabilitation Awards
- Individual Achievement Awards
- Renewable Energy Power Awards
- Exhibit and Sponsorship
- FAQs and Feedback
- Industry Events
- Contact Us