2021 Non-Residential Development that Overcame Significant Obstacles
Cook County Hospital
Developer: Murphy Development Group & Walsh Construction
Location: Chicago, Illinois
The adaptive reuse of the old Cook County Hospital by the Murphy Development Group and Walsh Construction into a 210-room Hyatt Place/Hyatt House Hotel and Cook County Medical office facility involved $23.6 million in federal and state HTC equity from U.S. Bancorp Community Development Corp.
Built in 1916, the property now has the hotel and medical offices, with a food hall, day care and museum space. Developers preserved the architecture of the Old Cook County Hospital as an example of Beaux Arts-style architecture as the only such public hospital in American history.
From its founding until immediately after World War II, the Cook County Hospital was considered one of the world’s great teaching hospitals and for eight decades, it served the city’s indigent population. Located in the heart of the Illinois Medical District, it now better supports the surrounding medical community.
- Upcoming Conferences
- Previous Conferences
- 2023 Developments of Distinction Award Winners
- 2023 Historic Rehabilitation Award Winners
- 2023 Community Development QLICIs of the Year Award Winners
- Past Award Winners
- Developments of Distinction Awards
- Community Development QLICIs of the Year Awards
- Historic Rehabilitation Awards
- Individual Achievement Awards
- Renewable Energy Power Awards
- Exhibit and Sponsorship
- FAQs and Feedback
- Industry Events
- Contact Us